Match Report: Chippa edge Chiefs
Match Report: Chippa edge Chiefs

Posted in News, Team News on Dec 05, 2016.

Chippa United edged Kaizer Chiefs 3-1 in an Absa Premiership match at Port Elizabeth’s Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday evening. Siphiwe Tshabalala opened the score in the 15th minute, but three goals by the Chilli Boys in the second half took care that the points stayed in Port Elizabeth.

Brilliant Khuzwayo got his first start this season as a result of Itumeleng Khune’s injury, sustained in the last match against Cape Town City.

Siyanda Xulu, meanwhile, got his first start since early this year, coming in for the suspended Sibusiso Khumalo with Daniel Cardoso moving to the left-back position.

Willard Katsande wore the captaincy armband in the absence of Khune.

Chiefs started as the better side, dominating the ball possession. It resulted in a goal for Siphiwe Tshabalala in the 15th minute. Striker Michelle Katsvairo put early pressure on the Chippa defence that gave the ball away easily. ‘Shabba’ profited with a fine shot past the goalkeeper.

The visitors continued to be the better team, creating a few more chances, while not allowing the opponents much when it comes to goalscoring opportunities.

Amakhosi’s backline did well in the first half, with Xulu having a reliable performance partnering Lorenzo Gordinho in the centre of defence.

Chippa, however, came out of the dressing room for the second half a stronger side, more willing to push forward. But the Glamour Boys came with a fighting spirit to Port Elizabeth, really determined to take the three points to Naturena.

Ramahlwe Mphahlele again had a fine performance at right-back, while Willard Katsande and George Maluleka worked hard in the centre of midfield.

The first real chance for Chippa came in the 69th minute with Marc van Heerden volleying the ball from long distance at goal, but Khuzwayo was alert, fisting the ball over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, however, the Chilli Boys equalised, against the run of play, thanks to Lerato Manzini.

It was a major set-back to Amakhosi, especially as they looked in control of the encounter. It became even worse a minute later when Chippa’s Tshwarelo Bereng scored the 2-1.

That’s when things went wrong for the Amakhosi and they had to concede a third goal in the 86th minute, with Manzini again finding the back of the net.

It was a disappointing finish to a game that had started so well, with Chiefs dominating the first half. However, in the end, the result was disappointing.

Amakhosi have now booked 17 points from 12 games, being in sixth position.

Chiefs next host Bloemfontein Celtic in an Absa Premiership match at the FNB Stadium on Wednesday, 14 December (kick-off is at 19:30).

Kaizer Chiefs                       (1) 1 (Tshabalala 15’)  

Chippa United.                   (0) 3 (Manzini 71, Bereng 72’, Manzini 86’)

Kaizer Chiefs: Khuzwayo; Mphahlele, Xulu, Gordinho, Cardoso; Chirambadare, Katsande, Maluleka, Lebese (Molangoane 75’); Tshabalala, Katsvairo (Manqele 64’)

Chippa United: Akpeyi; Thopola, Kama, Okwuosa, Van Heerden (Mako 77’); Lorch, Sangweni, Zuke, Zulu (Sali 43’); Wambi (Bereng 11’), Manzini


Share this article: