Chiefs held by ultra-defensive Ismailia
Chiefs held by ultra-defensive Ismailia

Posted in News on Sep 09, 2001.

Kaizer Chiefs battled for 90 minutes without success in trying to crack a solid Ismailia defence in the first leg of their Caf Cup Winners’ Cup quarterfinal match at Ellis Park on Sunday.

The Egyptians, who normally employ a three-man defence, came to Johannesburg with a draw in their minds as they deployed five defenders at the back, and they were more pleased by the 0-0 draw than Amakhosi.

The Naturena side will now have to beat Ismailia in Cairo in a fortnight or earn a score-draw to go through to the semifinals where their will meet either holders Zamalek of Egypt or Tunisian outfit Club Africain.

While Chiefs were always on the offensive, their chances were thwarted by the five-man Ismailia defence. Jabu Pule, who partnered Luke Jukulile in the Chiefs arsenal, was at his usual best and gave the visitors a torrid afternoon with his darting runs.

But Amakhosi battled to get past the Egyptians, whose strategy seemed to work as Chiefs were constantly frustrated each time they launched an attack.

Both sides started without their leading scorers in the competition. Daniel Matsau, who has scored twice for Chiefs, broke a shin bone while playing for a South African invitation side. Tony Illodigwe, who also netted twice for Amakhosi, has since been offloaded.

Meanwile, Ismailia took the field without three-goal John Otaka as the lethal striker has since been sold to a team in Qatar, while Mohamed Salou Abou Greisha, their second leading scorer, missed the quarterfinal clash against Chiefs due to suspension.

Ismailia’s second choice striker Mamadou Deta and his partner Abdel Hamied were given very little chance at the back as Nzama and company carefully cleared any potential threat.

Amakhosi had a chance after 16 minutes but Arthur Zwane’s cross didn't trouble Egyptian national keeper Mohammed Sbhoy.

Thabo Mooki delivered a cross on 22 minutes from the left flank but Sbhoy was equal to the task as he easily saved Petros’ header.

When Stanton Fredericks started warming up 12 minutes before the break, there was a measure of excitement amongst the Chiefs supporters, with the hope that the sensational midfielder would help to unlock the ultra-defensive Egyptians. Despite the anticipation, he was wouldn't feature before halftime.

When Justice Sithole and Fredericks were finally introduced at the beginning of the second half, Amakhosi got more attacking options as they started venturing into the Ismailia area more often.

Abdel Hamied almost gave the visitors the lead in 63rd minute following a short corner between Aselem El Shater and Ahmed Fathi but Baloyi was alert to save the close range header.

Aselem El Shater left the field on 83 minutes after he was clipped on the right foot by Patrick Mabedi as he was about to launch an attack on the Chiefs goal. El Shater was replaced by Haman Ibrahim as the Egyptians grew more confident.

When Mauritian referee Lee Kim Chong blew the final whistle, the Ismailia bench exploded in joy while the Chiefs bench took a while to leave their area.

As Chiefs prepare for the second leg to be played in Cairo, coach Muhsin Ertgral will be spending sleepless nights trying to sort out his goalscoring problems. The BP Top Eight champions have not scored more than three goals in regulation time of their last four matches.


Kaizer Chiefs: 3-5-2 – 16-Brian Baloyi, 5-Patrick Mabedi, 4-Cyril Nzama, 24-Isaac Mabotsa, 25-Marco Mthembu, 6-Nhlanhla Kubeka, 28-Patrick Mbuthu (10-Stanton Fredericks 46th), 12-Thabo Mooki, 18- Arthur Zwane, 11-Jabu Pule, 8-Luke Jukulile (21-Justice Sithole 46th).

Coach: Muhsin Ertugral.

Ismailia: 5-3-2 – 25-Mohammed Sbhoy, 6-Aselem El Shater (7-Haman Ibrahim 83rd), 4-Emad El Nahas, 20-Ayman Ramadan, 14-Sayed Mayed, 28-Amro Fahem, 24-Ahmed Fathi, 8-Mohammed Homes, 27-Dames Ghafer, 29-Abdel Hamied (23-Mohammed Mousen 89th), 17-Mamadou Deta (12-Mohamed Barakat 46th).

Coach: Mohesn Sealh.

Referee: Lee Kim Chong.

Share this article: