Chiefs held by game Wanderers
Chiefs held by game Wanderers

Posted in News on Oct 26, 2002.

It was another disappointing weekend for Kaizer Chiefs as African Wanderers held them to a 0-0 draw at Kings Park in Durban on Sunday.

The Naturena outfit dominated play for the better part of the match and fired harmlessly at Wanderers keeper Mandla Dlamini while the home side seemed content on soaking up the pressure hoping to catch Chiefs on the counter attack.

Amakholsi’s best chance came very late in the match with second half substitute Lucky Maselsele laying a quick through ball to another second half replacement Shaun Permall but Dlamini was equal to the task as he blocked the shot with his feet.

Frustration was written all over Chiefs coach Muhsin Ertugral with the final whistle as he let off, angrily slamming the chair to the ground. But that would not change the outcome and Wanderers - who have so far conceded 16 goals - were happier with the result, as they managed to keep a clean slate for the first time in eight matches.

Wanderers keeper Dlamini was outstanding throughout and won the man of the match accolade at the end of the day. But the Wanderers defence, particularly Mthokozisi Zungu, never put a foot wrong as they successfully frustrated their visitors, who at some stage enjoyed a 60 percent ball possession.

Chiefs almost broke the deadlock in the opening four minutes following a good cross from the right by Stanton Fredericks and header by David Radebe but Jossias Macamo’s effort went wide.

Ertugral reshuffled his pack at the start of the second half introducing hard-working striker Maselesele for Radebe. The change had a little impact as Amakhosi continued to dominate but failed to locate the goalmouth. Striker Shaun Permall thrown in on 58 minutes for Kabamba Musasa to leave the visitors with a new pair of attackers.

Wanderers were never troubled by the changes on the opposite side kept up the same rhythm. The home side finally made changes on 73 minutes with Mduduzi Mdladla coming on for Innocent Mahlangu and James Mothobi on for Mthokozisi Nqcobo three minutes later.

Referee Progress Moima had a easy afternoon as he only handed out three cards. The first yellow card of the match went to Asanda Dakana of Wanderers on eight minutes and Mondli Ndlovu on 19 minutes. Maselesele was the only Chiefs player to get a yellow on 72 minutes.

Chiefs: Baloyi, Goldstone, Nzama, Matshitse, Kannemeyer (Zwane 63), Macamo, Fredericks, Mooki, Sibeko, Radebe (Maselesele 46), Musasa (Permall 58).

Share this article: