Chiefs knocked out of Charity Cup
Chiefs knocked out of Charity Cup

Posted in News on Jul 28, 2001.

Orlando Pirates beat archrivals Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 in the semifinals of the Telkom Charity Cup at FNB Stadium on Saturday to set a date with Moroka Swallows in the final.

Phumlani Mkhize put Pirates in the lead on 52 minutes as Rowen Fernandez failed to hold on to a shot from Benedict Vilakazi.

Defender Gerald Raphahlela swung in a long cross with which Vilakazi connected, Fernandez spilled the ball and it kindly fell Mkhize’s way.

Chiefs - winners of the Charity Cup on eight occasions in its 16-year history - started with a more youthful squad and the majority on their new signings.

Confidence appeared to be high in the Amakhosi camp as they were tipped as favourites to win the Charity Cup but Pirates provided good value for money, playing under the guidance of caretaker coach Augusto Palacios following the departure of Gordon Igesund.

A fast-moving and exciting first half failed to produce any goals with Chiefs looking more dangerous when going forward. Stanton Fredericks and Jabu Pule were in charge of the Chiefs midfield and provided some inviting crosses, only to be let down by poor finishing.

Pirates striker Pollen Ndlanya was kept under check by the Chiefs defence and hardly made any impact on the game. Thabang Lebese also battled to set the game alight and was later replaced by youngster Andile Cele at the beginning of the second half.

Vilakazi was at his best as he inspired the Buccaneers - the four times winners of the Charity Cup - to a hard-fought victory against their rivals.

Pule was sent off at the end of the match for a second yellow card.


Kaizer Chiefs: Rowen Fernandez, Patrick Mabedi, Cyril Nzama (73 Isaac Mabotsa), Gary Goldstone, Marco Mthembu (73 Daniel Matsau), Nhlanhla Kubeka, Arthur Zwane (51 Lucky Maselesele), Thabo Mooki, Jabu Pule, Stanton Fredericks, Luke Petros (55 Josias Macamo).

Orlando Pirates: Williams Okpara, Gerald Raphahlela, Tomas Inguana, Mbulelo Oldjohn, Warren Lewis, Benedict Vilakazi (70 Rodney Petlele), Josep Ngake, Phumlani Mkhize (72 Jerry Sikhosana), Godfrey Sapula (71 Shasha Moleko), Thabang Lesebe (46 Andile Cele), Pollen Ndlanya.

Referee: Daniel Bennett

Swallows penalise Ria Stars

Moroka Swallows needed a penalty shoot-out to progress to the final of the Telkom Charity Cup after their match against Ria Stars ended 1-1 at the FNB Stadium on Saturday.

Swallows took an early lead in the first half through Sisa Nombe but Stars equalised in the second half through Nicolas Mkhabele and the match ended with the sides tied 1-1.

The Dube Birds went on to win the match 4-2 on penalties with Gary McNab, Peter Matsitse, Peter Rabolele and Jaconia Cibi converting from the spot. Stars only managed to score two penalties through man of the match Frank Makua and Joel Seroba.

Poor goalkeeping by Abram Khwenenyane granted Swallows the opportunity to go into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

Peter Matsitse caught Khwenenyane off guard with a long-range shot which the Stars keeper spilled, handing Sisa Nombe a chance to put Swallows in the lead two minutes before the break.

But Nicolas Mkhabele, who came on for Tony Illodigwe in the second half, gave Ria Stars the equaliser in the 69th minute with Joel Seroba supplying a great pass into the danger area.

Both sides started cautiously, probably thinking of the final, but Stars looked more offensive with their three-pronged attack. Tony Illodigwe and Fees Moloi, both acquired from Kaizer Chiefs in the off-season, were tasked with the responsibility of leading the Stars attack but the two men could not connect.

Swallows meanwhile, concentrated their efforts in the midfield where they had five men and looked more threatening on the wings.

Moloi was pulled off on 39 minutes for Joel Seroba and Sam Pam came on for Thapelo Liau three minutes later.

The changes seemed to have unsettled Stars as Swallows almost immediately found the back of the net after those changes.

Share this article: